Wednesday 21 July 2010

Marriage like a Horse and Carriage?

Về bếnImage by HaiThinh's photos via Flickr
Happy Wednesday to All,
I want to talk a bit about marriage and romantic relationships, if these two are not mutually exclusive. My dear wife died some years ago and I remember her all the time. She loved the song, 'Red Sails in the Sunset', ergo the photo, closest I could come up with.
 People are odd about talking of death. I was in a supermarket and bumped into a friend. I asked after his missus. He said, 'Oh, I lost her.' I said that he could have her paged at reception. How embarrassing. I didn't realise she had died 6 months before.
Anyway, marriage? Goes together like a horse and carriage, according to the song, but who is pulling and who is being dragged along? A fellow gog told me that it's all about give and take. 'I give and she takes,' he said.
My wife said I only had two faults- everything I said and everything I did! Charming! She said I was temperamental. Well, what she actually said was, I had a temper and I was mental. That's nice.
To be honest, I can't be long today, because the cleaner will be here soon and someone has to chase her around the place making suggestive comments, and that someone is me. It's all harmless. It keeps me fit and makes her laugh a lot!
Marriage? Some people compare it to a prison from medieval times. Two people are shackled together and endure thousands of exquisite and inventive tortures for many years and eventually they can't remember how and when they got there! Just a little negative? You decide.
These days, I read that 1 in 3 women are the main breadwinners in the home. At least, they are using their loaf! Men, however, are unsure of their status in society. Women want joint and separate bank accounts-very understandable, but blokes don't know if they are Arthur or Martha! A survey just out says that men don't feel safe being driven by their female partner. They don't mention if they mean 'round the bend'! Don't groan ladies, but they do mention that many ladies use the mirrors for anything other than checking traffic.

Romance and loving deeply is great, though. Mind you, Obama and Cameron may be trying to be all smiles, but Cameron's pledge to end 'blind loyalty to USA' may put the marriage on the rocks, along with the BP oil. Yes, you could say there is a widening 'gulf' between them!
Also, the former MI5 chief's submission to the Iraq enquiry may have Blair saying 'Et tu, Brute?' She didn't pull her punches. Sounded a bit like what wives do to their husbands at dinner parties-blurt out all the blokes' faults and misdemeanours.
I digress. I say, be romantic and be kind and loving. There you are. I've said it and I'm a gog! A quote from Mark Twain to finish.  I know, a bit flash, but appropriate.
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So, throw off the bow-lines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the Trade Winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover! 
Yours in a hurry,

The Gogfather
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment